Buddhism - General
Taoist
Religion / Buddhism
Meditations
Religious life

Date: 2007-02-09 Rating: 5
Review:

Consciousness of reality right here, right now

Superior ideals practiced in reality, is how this book reads. The book is pure pragmatism experienced in its best clothing, with nothing extra. There are many powerful messages for real people in real time, indeed.

Date: 2006-10-25 Rating: 5
Review:

Read, contemplate and apply to your own life

This is the first 'Tao' book I've ever read. I picked this up, not even really knowing what 'The Tao' is. As I flipped through and read the short passages on random pages, I was immediately drawn in to the peacefullness, simplicity and the interpretations of the words and symbols on the pages.

I found the introduction to be extremely well written. I even go back and re-read the introduction, just because I love what it says! For example, it begins with this:
"Following Tao means following a living path. It is a way of life that sustains you, guides you, and leads you to innumerable rich experiences. It is a spiritual path of joy and insight, freedom and profundity." -Wow, well that sounded like just what I was looking for!
The introduction goes on to explain some of the special qualities of those who follow Tao. Then, tells you about other good books to read about the Tao. The structure of the book is then broken down to explain what each part is for.

Now, here's an overview of the book:
There are 256 pages. Each page has a word at the top left hand corner of the page, and a chinese (calligraphy) symbol below the word. There is a paragraph beside the symbol that explains the symbol/picture/lines in brief detail. Below that, there are about 3-4 short paragraphs on each page that describe the meanings/relevance of the word/symbol in our lives.

My book is full of bookmarks and slips of paper of my favorite passages.

This is a partial excerpt that I particularly liked:
Moon: "It is important in life to be constant." "The moon has its own primal power. It pulls on the earth; it pulls on the oceans and on the hearts and minds of human beings; it paces the seasons. The moon does not fight. It attacks no one. It does not worry. It does not crush others. It keeps its course, but by its very nature, it gently influences. What other body could pull an entire ocean from shore to shore? The moon is faithful to its nature and its power is never diminished. Look no further than tonight's sky if you would want to know how you can be both true to Tao and to yourself."

This is a beautiful book! Looking for something to inspire you, nurture you in your spirituality, and teach you? Read this.

Date: 2005-09-06 Rating: 5
Review:

The Chinese characters or symbols called hanzi

I am a student of chi gung.I was surprised at how much detail he puts into this book.
I have lived in China for many years. I read and write hanzi or Mandrin ,the changes were instituted after --The cultural revolution and The great leap forward.The other writer may not be aware of the changes.

Hanzi was simplified for the peasants to learn.

Date: 2005-09-04 Rating: 5
Review:

Everyday Tao

It is excellent and both my friend and I are enjoying the readings.

Date: 2005-08-27 Rating: 4
Review:

Simple but valuable

I'm writing this review because I realized that I've had this book for years and it's never reached my bookshelf. It's always by my bedside, because I turn to it at least weekly as a source of meditation or comfort or thought. It's not a perfect book - some of the text is too vague to be inspiring - but it's simple, clear, and insightful. I think it's a great book to buy and keep as a companion on your journey.